Sunday, November 10, 2013

Using those Charm Square Packs - I have a lot of them!

I have so many charm square packs.  Why?  Because I loved the fabrics but I did not want to purchase large pieces off the bolt.  I felt good just purchasing the 5" squares but what have I done with them?  Nothing! 


This weekend, I devised a plan to use them!  I am making hour glass blocks with a black background.  I am not happy with the black background but I am using the charm pack.  I am delighted to get rid of just one of them.


I cut black fabric into 5" squares (42 total squares).  I marked the lines to sew:  1/4 inches on either side of a line from corner to corner.  I pinned the two pieces together (right sides together) and sewed on the lines that I made.

I cut between the lines that I sewed, from corner to corner.



The result of the cut made two-half squares blocks.

I then put the right sides together, the seams on top of each other.  The black triangles on both sides of the seam.




Again, I marked across the seam, 1/4 inches on either side of the line from corner to corner.  I pinned the two pieces together (right sides together) and I cut between the lines that I sewed, from corner to corner.







The result were two hour glass blocks.






I trimmed the blocks to 4 inches.






Each charm pack contains 42-5" squares so with the charm pack you will make 84 - 4" squares.  That is one way to use those charm packs up.




No comments:

Post a Comment