Saturday, December 3, 2016

Installment 3 - Quilter's Joy Mystery Quilt

In this installment we had only three tasks to accomplish but two of them were distressing to me.  The beginning of our class entailed tasting the recipe that was provided in our instructions:  Molasses Cookies.  Even though I am a diabetic, I had to eat one of the cookies!  They were delicious and moist!  I loved them.  Julie, our instructor had made them the night before and I couldn't believe that they were so delicious.  

Our first task was to take these little flying geese that we made last month (from Baggie D).  

This photo is the entire first task that we had to sew.  The middle section, flying geese was made last month.  First, we had to cut 36 - 3 inch squares and cut them diagonally from corner to corner.  I sewed on each side of the flying geese. The next step was to take the 36 pieces from Baggie A (installment 1) and attach it to the top.  We were told to trim.  I had to email our instructor Julie because I did not want to "mess" this up by cutting at the wrong angles. She assured me that it would be alright but I was still apprehensive.  As you can see, it turned out okay but we won't know until we start sewing these "parts" together.  Ack, I hate NOT knowing whether they will fit together!

The second task was easy.  All we had to do was to cut 18 - 1 7/8" x 12 1/2."

The third task was a bit more time consuming.  

Since I am making the queen sized quilt, I had to make 180 pieces of this block. It wasn't easy because each strip was 1 1/2" strips.  I had to take great care to be sure that the middle strip was exactly 1 inch once it was sewn to the first beige strip.  I ran the edge of my iron against the grey strip to be sure that it was 1 1/4."  Once that was done, I had to add on the other beige strip.  That was fairly easy because I was assured that I had done it right because I was so careful.  The next part was much more fun because I already knew that I had ironed correctly and measured after each ironing.  Phew, it turned out great and I hope that I have no problems adding this onto to the subsequent pieces once I start sewing them together.  

I am so glad that this is done.  I stressed about each of the cutting portions of this installment.