I have many projects to complete but I decided to have some fun and try to make a small tumbler quilt. I've seen large tumbler blocks but I wanted to utilize a charm pack that I recently purchased.I made a tumbler template initially 3" x 2 1/2" and trimmed it 1/2" down to the corners. After I realized it would be too long to make more than three blocks of tumblerson one piece of charm square, I trimmed a 1/4" off the bottom.
I decided to usethe "Kissing Booth" charm pack. I like the pinks and red.
I am still working on putting them together but here is the first row of my "mini" quilt.
I just finished this months Freedom Rings from Red Crinoline Quilts. I heard from someone in the shop that this is the last month of the series. Next month we will receive all of the fabric to finish the top of the quilt. The backing can be purchased at that time. I believe that we receive a discount on the cost of the fabric if we purchase it a month from now.
I can't believe that it is over. The 12" blocks are so fun to put together and the smaller Star Blocks are also just as fun. I have been using the Tucker Trimmer ruler to put the small blocks together. This method makes the blocks come out so perfect with minimal amount of effort and time.
Star Blocks 31-36
I put the blocks together yesterday. I love star blocks and Civil War reproduction fabrics. I think this is why I enthusiastically do these blocks quickly.
I did not sew today but I finished the eight blocks of Month 5 of Civil War Melodies. I am so glad that I finished.
I went into my local quilt shop and I found my ladybug up on display! I took a picture of it to show Erin.
Dermet's aunt passed away several weeks ago. Alta's funeral was held today in Colma. We left very early this morning to drive to South San Francisco and didn't return until 6 PM. It was a very long day.
In the last blog I stated that it would only take me a short amount of time to put the measly eight blocks together. Well, I underestimated that project!The blocks have so many pointsto match that it has taken me much more time to put it all together.
I had to go slowly to be sure that I could match up the points and come out with 8 1/2" blocks.
It turned out okay but I did a lot of ripping of seams to be sure that they all matched. I gave up for the night after only one block. I am continuing this morning. I am leaving to have lunch with Erin (my oldest daughter).I hope to have all eight blocks done by tomorrow morning.Wish me LUCK!
I finished cutting the pieces to put the blocks together for the Civil War Melodies Block of the Month (Month 5) from Homestead Hearth last night. I will sew them together this morning.These blocks are fun and fortunately, there have not been a lot of them to sew each month. I only have to sew eight blocks for the month.
In the instructions, it was suggested to "make a sample block to be certain your rotary cutting and sewing techniques result in an accurate block." I did that with scrap fabric and here is a photo of it. It is 8 1/2" square. Yay!
I have been busy and unable to keep up with my sewing. We just returned from San Diego, we traveled down Thursday morning and returned to Carmichael early Saturday morning. We had to move our youngest daughter back from UCSD.Unfortunately, we left Friday evening at 6 PM and arrived home at 5 AM. It was a long ride and we were tired. Of course, we recuperated Saturday but we went sailing with our oldest daughter and her fiance, August on Sunday. It was Father's Day and it was a blast.
I am starting a new project where we will complete a quilt over the summer. It is a pattern by Judi Madsen from Green Fairy Quilts. It is very cute and looks relatively easy. It is a pattern that utilizes a jelly roll (pre-cut 2 1/2 inch strips) and a layer cake.(pre-cut 10" squares). I am following the cutting instructions and have been cutting strips and squares for about an hour. It is 60" x 80."
As I stated in the two previous postings, I am unsure of how to add photos to Flickr, to the other group that I belong to: Tula Pink City Sampler. I was able to add the photos but Sara wants an additional link of the blocks to each posting. I have not been able to do that...... This is very frustrating! I am not going to let it get to me! I am going to try again!
I just finished blocks 3-6 of the Tula Pink Sampler. It has been hot and I have not had the inclination to sew the blocks with my light, iron and sewing machine contributing to my body heating up. In Carmichael, it has been over 100 degrees the past two days...plus, our air conditioner has not been functional. I cannot believe that it has taken me so long to finish them. I will try to get them on flickr ASAP.
I ran across the Tula Pink CitySampler Sew Along a couple of weeks ago. I was reading a quilter's blog and they were participating in the Sew Along. The point of the Sew Along was to follow a new book called: Tula Pink 100 Modern Quilt Blocks.
I decided to join but I did not have a copy of the book and worse yet, I didn't have any Tula Pink fabrics. I purchased the book from Amazon (the fastest way I could receive the book) and purchased the City Sampler Starter Kit from the Tula Pink web site. I just received the starter kit last week so I am a bit behind but the blocks are small and easy to put together. Unfortunately, I didn't have any fabric that worked with most of the starter kit. I decided to enhance the fabrics with batiks from my stash.
I just finished blocks 1-3. Now all I need to figure out is how to upload the pictures of my blocks to flikr.
The Tula Pink Sampler Sew Along information can be found on the Sew Sweetness blog.
The blocks can be viewed on flikr
I need to start and finish blocks 4-6 and post those tomorrow morning.