Wednesday, January 1, 2014

More progress on the "Little Lollies"

I sewed most of yesterday while I was watching television.  I ended the night watching the New Year's Eve broadcast from NYC.  It looked so cold there and I just thought that I we were really lucky to be living in Sacramento; even though it was cold yesterday, it's not as cold as back east.

I used a mug that was 3 1/2" to make this circle.
Trimmed the fabric and cut into the seam allowance so it wouldn't pucker.




Pulled the fabric through the hole in the back.
Centered and pinned it.


In retrospect, I should've read some of the advice that I found on the internet regarding sewing of these circles.  I didn't look for it until now.  There are many videos that show how to accomplish this with nice, round curves.  Oh well.....





The pattern from the Holly Hill Quilt Shoppe suggests that five of the nine blocks have the aqua center and the remaining four have white centers.  I decided that I wanted a little more color and tried the red.  The picture of the red is to the left.  It just seemed too overpowering compared to the aqua so I abandoned that idea.  I finished most of the blocks with the aqua when it occurred to me that I could make the red center smaller and so I tried it.




I did like it better but I had already sewn the aqua centers on six of the nine blocks.  It did not seem worth the time to remove some of the aqua centers so I decided to make only one block with the smaller center.









This will be the block placement for my "Little Lollies" quilt.  I just have to add the sashing and corner stones, scrappy inner border, white-on-white outer border and I will be done with the top.  I purchased backing fabric when I visited my local quilt shop, the Fabric Garden.  





I love, love, love this line of fabric, "Bobbins and Bits" by Pat Sloan for Moda.  This picture does not do it justice.  I took a couple of pictures of it but I can't get the aqua color right.  You can find a picture of it online.  It is called "Aegeon Blue Berry Scrolls."  





I will try to finish this quilt today but we have been invited to a friend's home to celebrate the New Year.  I hope that I can at least do the sashing and corner stones when we return home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment