Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 26-28, 2012

I am in Monterey, California for the weekend.  My husband had to attend meetings for work.  I came along and it was very fun!  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sew.  We did have a couple of hours of free time on Saturday and I was able to find the Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove.  I went to see the store and look at all of the fabrics and books that they have.  I find that each quilt/fabric store is so different.  The buyers/owners purchase what they like and what their customers are fond of.  I thoroughly enjoyed the store. There was a lot of light, white walls and a high ceiling.  The fabrics were bright and the store was full of customers.  They had many notions, a lot of books, a large classroom and helpful and friendly staff.  I loved all of Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  I purchased a bundled pack of eight fat quarters of Kaffe's fabrics, a pattern, a book and a new notion, Seam Fix.  

My husband being the scientist that he is found the Pacific Grove Museum across the street from Back Porch Fabrics.  I met him there....it was free to enter that afternoon and they had all of the native birds and animals on display.   Of course, all of the birds and animals were "stuffed."  It was interesting to see how large these animals are/were up close.  There were a lot of children there. The highlight of the museum visit that afternoon were the LIVE SNAKES!  The docents at the museum were allowing all of the children and many adults to touch the snakes.  It was great to see the children ask questions and some were even brave enough to allow the pythons to be placed on their shoulders.  Of course, I did not get too close.  Snakes scare me and two of them were very large pythons.  One was yellow, an albino python and the other was, I guess a "normal" python, brown and beige.  The third snake was small compared to the other two.  It was a great couple of hours for the both of us.

Albino Python
I am in the background...
Not close to the snake!


No comments:

Post a Comment