Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 19, 2012

I took Caroline's Quilt to my local quilter.  I love her work. Nancy is very creative.  I can't wait to see the finished quilt.  

I started a new quilt last night.  I am making three table-topper quilts for my sister -in-laws:  Laurie, Mari and Imelda.  They are small enough that it will not take me long to complete them.  The method of piecing is called "Pinwheels with a twist."  I love this method of piecing.  You just use in the case below 3 1/2" squares and a template with special lines on it.  You align the lines on the template with the seams and cut around it.  You end up with perfect pinwheels (assuming that you don't move the template.  I first saw it at my local quilt store and marveled at how complicated it looked.  I was assured that it was easy to do so without hesitation, I purchased the pattern that included the 3 1/2" squares and the template.  




Primitive Pinwheels
Finished size:  11" x 12 1/4
Made from 30 - 3 1/2" squares
plus border, binding and backing
From the pattern
Primitive Pinwheels
by Carole Charles
of Primitive Gatherings


Imagine that the grids to the right are the 3 1/2" squares of fabric.  You place the template on the seams.  Cut around the template with your rotary cutter.  The template is 
1 1/4" square with rubber feet on the back side to prevent your template from moving.





On the right are my 49 - 5" x 5" blocks sewn together.  it is a 32" square.  On the left you can see a 3 1/2" template
that I will use to make the "pinwheels with a twist."


I neglected to mention that I used 32 fabrics from the charm pack,
Share the Joy by Deb Strain for Moda.
I used leftover fabric for the background, 12 - 5" x 5" squares.
Add a 3" width of fabric strip to each side.

I used the "Let's Twist...ONE MORE TIME!" by Marsha Bergren
CS Designs   www.country-schoolhouse.com
The "Double Twisted Wreath/Optional Ornament" pattern 
from the book.  Pattern on page 17, picture on page 13.




No comments:

Post a Comment