Thursday, October 25, 2012

October 25, 2012

Watched the first game of the World Series last night.  I didn't get much sewing done....GO GIANTS!  I will continue sewing the last block of the General's Wives.   I will attempt to put it all together in the next few days.
I hope......I have the time.


Block 3
Eleanor (Ellen) Boyle 
Ewing Sherman

Eleanor Sherman is the wife of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman (US Army).

I would love to know who designed these blocks and why they chose them to represent these particular women.  I wonder if they have any insight of their personalities or actual quilts that they have made.

My father was in the military so it makes me wonder what it was like to be married to someone who commanded troops during the Civil War.  I guess it is no different than serving in current times, going to  the Middle East.  Fearing for their lives and            wondering if you would ever see them again is the common in separation.

Block 4

Irene (Rucker) Sheridan

wife of Gen. Phillip H. Sheridan

(US Army)
Many soldiers did not return from battle during 
the Civil War.  Modern medical techniques were not available during the 1860's compared 
to today.

As I recall, if your soldier died in battle
 during the Civil War they were buried in 
mass graves.  Fortunately soldiers today are 
easily identified.


Block 5
Irene Boggs (Dent) Grant
wife of Ulysses Simpson Grant
 (US Army)






Emotionally, wives of soldiers from the Civil Warare no different from the modern wives that send their men off to battle today.   


Blockbase Sew Along

The latest block in the Sew Along is due 
tomorrow.  I can't wait to see what different
fabrics have been used to create this block.
Below is my version of block 2741.




Block 2741
Blockbase Sew Along







No comments:

Post a Comment