Monday, October 24, 2016

I Found Another Kit to Sew!

I found another kit while I was organizing (little at a time) my fabric stash.  I found a kit that I, again purchased from Connecting Threads.  I seem to have quite a few kits from the same era, around 2007, from the back of the pattern, the copyright date.  I can see why I was attracted to this kit:  the pattern features blue batiks.  My favorite color and type of fabric that I love to sew.  The pattern is called "Check Out the Stars."  It came with the original pattern by Quilt Moments.  Marilyn Foreman is the designer and it is stunning.  It has directions to make four sizes:  throw (48" x 64"), twin (64" x 80"), full/queen 
(80" x 96") and king (96" x 102").  In addition, there are directions to make the quilt with charm packs, layers cakes, fat quarters and yardage. 

20 blocks
Twin - 60" x 80"

I make all sizes of quilts but if I am planning to give it away I have to make at least a queen size quilt.  Everyone in my immediate family has a queen bed. The instructions for the pattern state that you need to make thirty blocks for a full/queen.  I believe that is five blocks across and six blocks vertical.  That decided, I made my first block this morning.  

16 1/2" square block

Fabric was included in the kit but I have to add 3 yards of my own fabric to make the queen.  That was not hard to find...I have a huge stash of blue batiks and accompanying fabrics that would compliment all of the fabric.  "EASY PEASY AND ONE BLOCK DONE AND TWENTY-NINE TO GO."  I will work on it when I can and hopefully be done soon. It is very easy to sew together and with the large blocks, the work goes fast. Each block is 16.5" square!  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment