Saturday, June 13, 2015

Slowly but surely...I am catching up!

I have been sewing just about non-stop.  May was a busy month:  my oldest daughter was married on May 2nd and my only son graduated from Pharmacy School on May 29th.  Before the wedding, my husband and I were busy helping build a dance floor and cleaning up a not-yet-opened artisan bread store for the rehearsal dinner. 

Erin + August's Sonoma County Private Estate Wedding
Erin and August - The wedding was spectacular

My son and his girlfriend graduated from Mid-Western University Pharmacy School in Glendale, Arizona.  Glendale is a west of Phoenix. The week before their graduation they attended a wedding and reception at the Fairmont in San Francisco.

Tom and Jocelyn

Anyway, driving back and forth just about every weekend did not leave much time to sew and to catch up on my BOM's (Block Of the Month). 

I decided to take a class at Fabric Garden because I am not working at school...it is vacation time for students and staff.  I have always been intrigued by the Lone Star block.  It looks so complicated because of the many diamond pieces that have to be sewn together.  It looks like a daunting task.

The class that I enrolled in is Lone Star - The Quiltsmart Way.  We were told to select six coordinating fabrics and cut them before we came to class.  Well..it was so fun and easy.  All you do is follow the instructions and use the interfacing included in the pattern and VIOLA!  You have a large diamond with smaller diamonds in all of the colors that you brought with you.


Quiltsmart Pattern

I used batiks for this Lone Star Quilt

This is the back of the block with the interfacing

I think that I will give it to my son Tommy and Jocelyn after they move to Oakland this coming week.  Jocelyn is starting a Pharmacy Internship and Tom will be working at Walgreen's in Oakland also.  They did a six week pharmacy work experience in Honolulu and they absolutely enjoyed it.  The fabrics that I chose for this quilt reminded me of the ocean and sun in every photograph that they posted on Instagram and Facebook.  Unfortunately, they move in soon but the second installment of the Lone Star class is July 13.  Almost three weeks after they move in.  Oh well, I will eventually finish and I hope they like it.

I will post photos of the blocks that I have caught up on next time.  Hopefully, that will be soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment