Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A New Project....

I can't believe that it has been over two weeks since I posted my last blog!  I have been subbing again at my local high school and I visited my son in Glendale, Arizona.  Glendale is a suburb of Phoenix and the site of my son's graduate school, Midwestern University.  

I don't get to sew when I have been subbing at the high school but I did bring my small sewing machine with me to Phoenix, Janome Jem Platinum 760.  I sewed a small amount but I didn't complete anything.  I did, however, go to a quilt store in NW Phoenix, "The Other Quilt Shop," at the corner of N 43rd Avenue and W. Thunderbird Road.  It was very cute and had a lot of gem tone fabrics.  The owners were very helpful, full of information about Phoenix, and they had quite a bit of batiks.  It is always fun to visit other shops in other towns.  The shop is always a reflection of the owner's taste.  I wish I had taken a picture of the quilts in the store.  They were lovely.  

While I was at the Sacramento Airport, I purchased a magazine, Fons and Porter's, Love of Quilting, March/April, 2014 issue. 



I really loved the quilt on the cover,  Star Flowers.  I read the article by Diane Tomlinson.  She is an Assistant Editor of this magazine.  The caption stated that  "She designed the quilt on her computer and played with  colors until she had a pattern that she loves."







This pattern is based on diamonds and has quite a few set-in seams.  I am going to try it.  I am using Civil War fabrics because I have so much in my stash that I would like to use it all up.

The article suggested that we watch a video, "Sew Easy:  Set in Seams" at FonsandPorter.com/setinseams.  I did watch it a couple of days ago.  Of course, it looked easy but I haven't done it yet

I made about twelve of the "Star Point Units."  I haven't put them together in a block.  I will let you know if I am successful or if I will trash it!





No comments:

Post a Comment